As a vegan, it’s important to ensure that you are getting enough calcium in your diet. According to numerous studies, vegans typically consume only about 750 mg of calcium per day, falling short of the recommended 1,000-1,200 mg for adults. This deficiency in calcium can have serious consequences for your bone health, as it can lead to bone loss conditions such as osteoporosis.
To prevent this, many vegans turn to calcium supplements to meet their daily calcium needs. But with so many options available, how do you choose the right one? In this article, we’ll explore some of the best plant-based calcium supplements on the market, as well as provide you with a list of vegan foods that are high in calcium. Let’s dive in!
- Our Top Picks for Plant-Based Calcium Supplements
- 1. Best Overall: Future Kind Vegan Calcium Supplement
- 2. Best with Magnesium: Global Healing Calcium & Magnesium
- 3. Best with Vitamin D: HUM Nutrition Got Calcium
- 4. Best Budget Option: DEVA Vegan Cal-Mag Plus
- 5. Best Organic: Garden of Life MyKind Organics Organic Plant Calcium
- 6. Best Gummy: Mary Ruth’s K2 + D3 Calcium Gummies
- 7. Best for Bone Health: Naturelo Bone Strength Plant Calcium Complex
- Vegan Foods High in Calcium
Our Top Picks for Plant-Based Calcium Supplements
When it comes to choosing a calcium supplement, there are several factors to consider. We’ve compiled a list of our favorite vegan calcium supplements to make your decision easier. Remember to consult with your healthcare provider before starting any new supplement regimen.
1. Best Overall: Future Kind Vegan Calcium Supplement
Our top pick is the Future Kind Vegan Calcium Supplement. This supplement contains 500 mg of natural calcium derived from sustainably sourced Icelandic red marine algae. It also provides some natural magnesium and other trace minerals essential for bone health. With third-party testing, you can trust the quality of Future Kind’s products.
2. Best with Magnesium: Global Healing Calcium & Magnesium
For a calcium supplement that comes with added magnesium, consider Global Healing Calcium & Magnesium. This supplement offers a 2:1 ratio of absorbable calcium and magnesium, which is ideal for reducing inflammation. The calcium is in the form of calcium orotate, which may be better absorbed than other forms. You can trust Global Healing’s products, as they undergo third-party testing.
3. Best with Vitamin D: HUM Nutrition Got Calcium
Vitamin D plays a crucial role in calcium absorption, and that’s why HUM Nutrition Got Calcium is our top choice for a supplement with added vitamin D. By combining calcium and vitamin D, you can ensure optimal absorption and use of calcium in your body. With third-party testing, HUM Nutrition ensures the quality and safety of their products.
4. Best Budget Option: DEVA Vegan Cal-Mag Plus
If you’re on a budget, DEVA Vegan Cal-Mag Plus is a great option. This supplement provides significant doses of calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, and other nutrients and herbs to support bone health. The combination of four different sources of calcium enhances absorption, all at an affordable price. While not third-party tested, DEVA Vegan is certified vegan.
5. Best Organic: Garden of Life MyKind Organics Organic Plant Calcium
For a natural, whole food-based, organic option, look no further than Garden of Life MyKind Organics Organic Plant Calcium. This supplement contains algae-based calcium and magnesium, along with vitamin D and vitamin K2. The Organic Plant Calcium Blend, consisting of various organic fruits and vegetables, further supports bone health. While not third-party tested, Garden of Life is certified vegan and organic.
6. Best Gummy: Mary Ruth’s K2 + D3 Calcium Gummies
If you prefer gummy vitamins or have trouble swallowing pills, Mary Ruth’s K2 + D3 Calcium Gummies are the perfect choice. These gummies not only provide plant-based calcium but also include vitamin D and vitamin K2. Made with organic ingredients and third-party tested, Mary Ruth’s gummies provide a convenient and tasty way to supplement your calcium intake.
7. Best for Bone Health: Naturelo Bone Strength Plant Calcium Complex
For a comprehensive bone health supplement, Naturelo Bone Strength Plant Calcium Complex is an excellent option. In addition to calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium, this supplement includes vitamin C, zinc, boron, and silica — all of which play a role in bone health and bone mineral density. With Naturelo’s commitment to quality, you can feel confident in your choice.
Vegan Foods High in Calcium
If you prefer to get your calcium from natural food sources, there are plenty of options available. Contrary to popular belief, dairy products aren’t the only way to meet your daily calcium goals. Here are some vegan foods that are high in calcium:
- Calcium-fortified orange juice, 1 cup: 27% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Firm tofu (made with calcium sulfate), ½ cup: 19% of the DV
- Soft tofu (made with calcium sulfate), ½ cup: 11% of the DV
- Cooked soybeans, ½ cup: 10% of the DV
- Fortified breakfast cereal, 1 serving: 10% of the DV
- Boiled and drained spinach, ½ cup: 9% of the DV
- Boiled turnip greens, ½ cup: 8% of the DV
- Cooked kale, 1 cup: 7% of the DV
- Chia seeds, 1 tablespoon: 6% of the DV
- Raw bok choy, 1 cup: 6% of the DV
By incorporating these foods into your well-planned vegan diet, you can easily meet your calcium requirements without relying solely on supplements.
Ensuring you get enough calcium as a vegan is essential for maintaining strong bones and overall health. By incorporating plant-based calcium supplements or calcium-rich vegan foods into your diet, you can meet your calcium needs and support your bone health. Remember to consult with your healthcare provider to determine the best approach for you.
For more information and to purchase the Ames Farm Center’s vegan products, visit Ames Farm Center.
Disclaimer: The content provided in this article is for informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice. Always consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen.