If you’re looking for a stunning plant to add to your garden, look no further than Crassula ovata ‘Variegata.’ This beautiful succulent is perfect for containers or as a specimen plant in rock, succulent, or cactus gardens. With its white to ivory and green striped coloring, it complements white flowering plants and silver foliage, creating a visually striking display.
What makes Crassula ovata ‘Variegata’ even more appealing is its resistance to fire and deer. This means you can confidently incorporate it into your near frost-free landscape without worrying about damage from these common challenges. Additionally, when planted in large groups, this Crassula becomes a fascinating focal point that draws attention and creates a captivating visual impact.
You can also grow Crassula ovata ‘Variegata’ as a houseplant, as long as it receives ample bright light. Its slower growth rate compared to the species doesn’t compromise its durability and ease of cultivation. In fact, older plants bloom in late winter and spring, adorning themselves with pretty small white star-shaped flowers that attract bees and other beneficial insects.
Propagation of Crassula ovata ‘Variegata’ is straightforward. You can propagate it from stem and leaf cuttings, but be sure to allow them to callus over before planting. Keep in mind that this plant does not come true from seed. It’s worth noting that Crassula ovata ‘Variegata’ requires well-draining soils to prevent root and stem rot. While occasional issues with mealybugs and scale may arise, they are rarely a cause for concern.
- Names and Synonyms: Crassula argentea f. variegata
- Common Names: Variegated Jade Plant, Lemon & Lime Crassula
- Family: Crassulaceae
- Origin: South Africa
- Size Label: One-gallon
- Height: 3-4′
- Width: 1-3′
- Cold Tolerance: 25 to 30°F; -3.9 to -1.1°C
- Heat Tolerance: High heat tolerance
- Light Requirement: Part shade inland to full sun along the coast. In the hottest climates, provide shade to leaves during extended heat waves to prevent sunburn.
- Water needs: Drought-tolerant but can tolerate irrigation in well-drained soils. Avoid excessive watering in cool, wet winters.
- Maintenance: Minimal
- Uses: Crassula ovata ‘Variegata’ is an excellent container plant and can also be grown as a specimen plant in rock, succulent, or cactus gardens. Its white to ivory and green striped coloring pairs well with white flowering plants and silver foliage. Its resistance to fire and deer makes it a valuable addition to frost-free landscapes, especially when planted in large groups. You can also enjoy it as a houseplant in bright light.
- Propagation: Propagate through stem and leaf cuttings, allowing them to callus over before planting. Do not rely on seed propagation.
- Problems: Requires well-draining soils to avoid root and stem rot. Occasional issues with mealybugs and rarely with scale.
You can find more information about Crassula ovata ‘Variegata’ on the Ames Farm Center website.
Shipping & Availability:
To purchase Crassula ovata ‘Variegata’ online, there is a minimum requirement of four plants. All plants are shipped bare root. If you prefer, you can also pick up other sizes directly from our growing grounds in Fallbrook, CA. For more details, feel free to give us a call at 760-990-4762. You can also check out our complete Price List.
With its captivating appearance and versatility, Crassula ovata ‘Variegata’ is sure to be a stunning addition to any garden. Whether you showcase it in containers or incorporate it into your landscape, this plant is bound to draw attention and admiration. Explore the unique charm of this beautiful succulent and unlock the potential for a visually striking garden.